Last week I was on the phone with a potential client and they asked me to explain in one page the advantages and practical steps to implementing a skills tracking system in their company. Here it is I hope you find it useful.
The benefits of a skills tracking system are considerable. The enterprise receives an in depth picture of where skills fulfill specific requirements and where they fall short (gap analysis). A skills baseline is developed. Responsibilities are put in place for fulfilling baseline requirements.
In due course, company performance always increases with more informed skills management. Through:
- Smarter needs and skills based hiring
- Identifying employees with relevant skills, qualifications and experience for particular jobs or projects.
- Recognize skill gaps and create needs-based recommendations for training and development for individuals or teams.
In establishing skills accountability, managers and employees are finding new validation for the adage “what gets measured gets managed, and what gets managed gets better.”
Your five steps for implementing your skills management system:
- Scope the Skills Management System (SMS)
- Define the purpose of the SMS
- Define the scope of the SMS
- Define roles and responsibilities that are covered by SMS
- Design the Skills Management System
- Define the elements that SMS covers
- Define the system interfaces (external and internal)
- Define the actual skills themselves
- Define the skill scoring system.
- Define how each Skill is scored, assessed and recorded
- Define the training and development program for each proposed Skill
- Implement the Skills Management System
- Have employees and managers record Skills against the defined Skills list.
- Train against the skills gaps.
- Monitor and reassess
- Assess and maintain Skills Management System
- Update Skills in response to change
- Review the output and impact of the SMS on Key Performance Indicators
- Indicators (KPIs)
- Verify and audit the Skills Management System
- Review and feedback
- Refresh and improve the SMS